Dent Doctor of Montrose, Colorado, is the king of dent repair. With our Paintless Dent Repair techniques, we can take a dimpled hood and turn it into a smooth surface. Yet, there may come a time when you feel that it’s not worth fixing your car. This, of course, is a matter of debate: To scrap it or to fix it? This topic is a hot one, for it comes down to value. Is the insurance’s value more important than the sentimental value you have for your “classic” car?  Read below to know the basics of a totaled car versus one with fixable damage. Then make the decision yourself. Dent Doctor is just a phone call away!


The standard response to determining if a vehicle is totaled or not depends on this–if the cost of repair reaches 70-75% of the value of your car, then it’s declared a total loss. In other words, the insurance company claims that the repairs are not worth the cost. So, how do they actually determine the total loss? Well, the insurance company looks at the make, model, and year of the car. For example, if a car’s value is only $4,000, and the damaged accrued is $2,800, then it’s considered a loss. On the other hand, let’s say that you own any car from 1998. It’s in great condition, drives perfectly, and then you get into a fender bender. The average rear-damage can cost around 5,000. This is more than the car is worth, so it will be claimed ‘totaled.’

To Scrap, or Not to Scrap?

While newer vehicles are lighter, sleeker, and more luxurious than the cars of the past, there’s something to be said about a classic car. Basically, if your car is 20 years or older, it falls into the “classic” category. Therefore, your 1995 Land Rover can be considered a “classic.” So, when do we scrap it or fix it? Let’s say the side of your 1976 Jeep Wrangler gets creased by rambling over rocks in Moab. Or that your 1986 Ford pickup truck received a not-so-gentle tap from another car. Paintless Dent Repair is designed to remove small dents, dings, and creases; however, some large dents can successfully be removed depending on the skill level of the technician, and the location of the dent.

A good car becomes part of the family. If the damage is greater than the cash value of your vehicle, you will have to make some hard decisions. Of course, you can go ahead and a purchase that new vehicle you’ve had your eye on, but what if you want to keep your dented Dodge? Then you’ll need a “salvage” title. While this varies from state to state, the insurance company may take ownership of a totaled vehicle. It will then be claimed as “salvage,” and you will need to obtain a “salvage title.” In the State of Colorado, you can apply for a salvage title under the following circumstances: Collision, Fire, Flood, Accident, or Trespassing. However, this excludes hail damage.

Your Call

In all reality, it comes down to you as the owner. If the damage of the car doesn’t inhibit the functionality, then you may want to consider repair. If you’re not sure, have us come out to your location or schedule an appointment online. We’d love to take a look at your “classic” and see what services we can provide.